Correct, The Netflix servers are seeing my requests come from my server in
the US. Thats the whole point of having the server in the U.S. And it works
very well for getting access to Netflix.

Netflix and Hulu both use Akamai, although Netflix appears to use other
CDNs as well. The difference is that the software Netflix uses to serve up
the video stream doesnt check location, it only checks that the viewer
holds a valid license to view the stream, whereas Huhu's service seems
check my location at every request.

Proxy vs port forwarding does make a difference. for proxying to work the
proxy would need to inspect the request. But since the request is encrypted
the proxy would need to decrypt, inspect, and then re-encrypt, which causes
a Man-In-The-Middle. While PCs dont care about this in so far as the user
can chose to ignore certificate warnings, other devices like Apple TV, the
Netflix app on Android, etc wont let you ignore bad certificates. So
proxying wont work. TCP redirect where theres no need to inspect the inner
data stream is the only option.

The point of fiddling the DNS is that I can redirect requests for various
Netflix and Hulu hosts to my own server in the US and have my server in the
US redirect the request to the correct Netflix or Hulu host.

so for example:

www.netflix.com points to 192.168.1.10
secure.netflix.com points to 192.168.1.20
movies.netflix.com points to 192.168.1.21
etc

--
Kind Regards,

Christopher Barnes