Many people have listed alternatives, so why not? :)

Another alternative, that we use, is to use the lua job submit plugin.
Then there is no need for a new plugin, and changes are easy to make:
just edit the lua script, and restart slurm.

Here is our lua code for enforcing a time limit:

--      If walltime is missing: fail
--      (0xfffffffe is slurm's NO_VAL)
        if job_desc.time_limit == 0xfffffffe then
                log_info("slurm_job_submit: job from uid %d with missing time:
Denying.",
                         job_desc.user_id)
                return 2051 -- Signal ESLURM_INVALID_TIME_LIMIT
        end

--
Regards,
Bjørn-Helge Mevik, dr. scient,