I upgraded  SLURM rom 15.08 to 16.05 without draining the nodes and
without loosing any jobs, this was my procedure:

I increased timeouts in slurm.conf:
SlurmctldTimeout=3600
SlurmdTimeout=3600

Did mysqldump of slurm database and copied slurmstate dir (just in
case), I increased innodb_buffer_size in my.cnf to 128M, then I followed
the instructions on slurm page:

        Shutdown the slurmdbd daemon
        Upgrade the slurmdbd daemon
        Restart the slurmdbd daemon
        Shutdown the slurmctld daemon(s)
        Shutdown the slurmd daemons on the compute nodes
        Upgrade the slurmctld and slurmd daemons
        Restart the slurmd daemons on the compute nodes
        Restart the slurmctld daemon(s)

For me it worked.
Cheers,
Barbara