I've made progress with the preemption issue that I reported in my last post. I
hadn't assigned a PriorityTier to the regular partition.  I tested again with

PartitionName=regular Nodes=pcp-d-[8-10] Default=YES MaxTime=INFINITE State=UP
PriorityTier=100
PartitionName=lowprio Nodes=pcp-d-[8-10] MaxTime=INFINITE State=UP
PriorityTier=0

and in this case jobs resume after they are preempted.

So it looks like (all?) partitions need a PriorityTier configured when
slurmd.conf is set up for:

PreemptMode=CHECKPOINT,GANG
PreemptType=preempt/partition_prio

Eric