Thanks for taking a look at that Doug. Maybe we’ll write a feature patch and
submit it.

Best,
Chris

On 4/17/17, 10:39 PM, "Douglas Jacobsen" <dmjacob...@lbl.gov> wrote:

    Well, so looking at it, sstat generates an RPC which is forwarded to all
the slurmds relevant to the job (see src/sstat/sstat.c), REQUEST_JOB_STEP_STAT.
 When slurmd receives REQUEST_JOB_STEP_STAT, it calls
    _rpc_stat_jobacct() in src/slurmd/slurmd/req.c
(https://github.com/SchedMD/slurm/blob/834a9d6de6b945e6a3546e25a2b255d0ea7936f2/src/slurmd/slurmd/req.c#L3417)

    It appears from there that the authorized users are:

    /*
    * check that requesting user ID is the SLURM UID or root
    */
    if ((req_uid != uid) && (!_slurm_authorized_user(req_uid))) {
        error("stat_jobacct from uid %ld for job %u "
              "owned by uid %ld",

    So either the user needs to be the original requesting user, or needs to be
admitted by _slurm_authorized_user(), which is defined as:

    static bool
    _slurm_authorized_user(uid_t uid)
    {
        return ((uid == (uid_t) 0) || (uid == conf->slurm_user_id));
    }

    So, only the requesting user, uid 0 (root), or the user running slurmctld
(SlurmUser in slurm.conf) can run sstat.

    I suppose if you want to add others you could consider allowing sudo access
to sstat.  But no, this doesn't seem to be a bug, just the way it's written so
far.

    ----
    Doug Jacobsen, Ph.D.

    NERSC Computer Systems Engineer
    National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center <http://www.nersc.gov>

    dmjacob...@lbl.gov

    On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Christopher Benjamin Coffey