We use purge here with out much of a problem. Though I will caution that if you have a large database that you have not ever purged before (when we initially did it we had 3 years of data accrued and we purged down to 6 months), you should do it in stages. So do maybe a few months at a time to walk it up to the level you need. You can also have the purge archive to disk which can be handy if you want to maintain historical info. The purge itself runs monthly at midnight on the 1st of the month.

-Paul Edmon-