If you use a modern enough OS (RHEL/CentOS 7, etc), XDG_RUNTIME_DIR will
probably be set and mounted (it’s a tmpfs with a limited max size mounted,
per-session, under /run/user/<uid>) on your login nodes, any node that
environment propagates to (like the first compute node of a job), and anywhere
that the user (or MPI stack) sshes to due to the PAM integration of
pam_systemd.so in the auth process. Just having the environment variable set is
not quite enough, though, you also need it mounted and unmounted at the end of
each shell session. If you add the same line from /etc/pam.d/system-auth (or
your OS’s equivalent) to /etc/pam.d/slurm, then srun- and sbatch-initiated
shells and processes will also have the directory properly set up. MPI jobs
that use ssh will get the mount automatically due to the ssh PAM integration
with systemd, but those that use PMI-* and srun need the additional PAM
integration.

Like it or not, this systemd-based/freedesktop.org system for a private,
ephemeral temporary directory appears to be the future on Linux, and lots of
GUI-based programs (Qt) are already expecting it. There are instructions in the
standard for what you’re supposed to do as a developer if it doesn’t exist or
has the wrong permissions, but this method is at least becoming standardized
across Linux distributions. We first discovered this recently on some new
CentOS 7 boxes that we were running under SLURM and were complaining in some
GUI apps that didn’t have it mounted. It took a little while to figure out
where in the PAM stack to insert the pam_systemd.so configuration line to
guarantee that it was working for all our SLURM jobs, but the above method
seems to solve the problem.

Best,
Bill.

--