Hi Bill,

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 5:33 AM, Bill Barth <bba...@tacc.utexas.edu> wrote:
> If you add the same line from /etc/pam.d/system-auth (or your OS’s
> equivalent) to /etc/pam.d/slurm, then srun- and sbatch-initiated shells and
> processes will also have the directory properly set up.

That indeed seems like good advice to make sure XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is
coherently defined in users' environment wherever they're running, but
last time I checked, pam_systemd wasn't playing nice with Slurm's
cgroups feature (and that's an euphemism). Because systemd manages its
own cgroups hierarchy for user sessions, that resulted in all sorts of
issues when Slurm was trying to set up its own cgroup structures for
tracking jobs' resources and enforcing limits. Which prompted us to
actually *remove* pam_systemd from our compute node configurations.

Do you use cgroups in your Slurm setup with pam_systemd on nodes? And
if so, did you notice any issue with cgroups?

Cheers,
--
Kilian