Lachlan, I will have to check when I get into work in the morning. I am
also sorry if I lead you down the wrong path here, however this does feel
to be an issue of login versus non-login shells.
Try a bash -l   (dash lower case L)

I am sure the login/non-login thing has been discussed on here recently.