Hi Patrick,

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 01:17:33PM -0600, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> After some
> discussion on this list, someone convinced me that setting
> "ThreadsPerCore=2" informs Slurm that each CPU actually has 8 cores, so I
> set OverSubscribe back to the previous value and now the nodes are
> unsubscribed again.  The final configuration I tried was this:
>
>     SelectType=select/cons_res
>     SelectTypeParameters=CR_CPU_Memory
>     NodeName=n[001-048] Sockets=2 CoresPerSocket=4 ThreadsPerCore=2
> RealMemory=61500 State=UNKNOWN
>     PartitionName=normal Nodes=n[001-048] Default=YES OverSubscribe=NO
> MaxTime=10-0 State=UP
>

> and that didn't seem to help; the users still can't get more than 8 tasks on
> to a node.

from the slurm.conf manual page:

"If your system is configured with more than one thread per core,
execution of a different job on each thread is not supported unless you
configure SelectTypeParameters=CR_CPU plus CPUs; do not configure
Sockets, CoresPerSocket or ThreadsPerCore."

So I think you need to get rid of the Sockets, CoresPerSocket,
ThreadsPerCore settings and use CPUs=16.
Best reagards
--
Gennaro Oliva