On 11 September 2017 at 20:11, Gennaro Oliva <oliv...@na.icar.cnr.it> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 01:17:33PM -0600, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> > After some
> > discussion on this list, someone convinced me that setting
> > "ThreadsPerCore=2" informs Slurm that each CPU actually has 8 cores, so I
> > set OverSubscribe back to the previous value and now the nodes are
> > unsubscribed again.  The final configuration I tried was this:
> >
> >     SelectType=select/cons_res
> >     SelectTypeParameters=CR_CPU_Memory
> >     NodeName=n[001-048] Sockets=2 CoresPerSocket=4 ThreadsPerCore=2
> > RealMemory=61500 State=UNKNOWN
> >     PartitionName=normal Nodes=n[001-048] Default=YES OverSubscribe=NO
> > MaxTime=10-0 State=UP
> >

> > and that didn't seem to help; the users still can't get more than 8
> tasks on
> > to a node.
>
> from the slurm.conf manual page:
>
> "If your system is configured with more than one thread per core,
> execution of a different job on each thread is not supported unless you
> configure SelectTypeParameters=CR_CPU plus CPUs; do not configure
> Sockets, CoresPerSocket or ThreadsPerCore."
>
> So I think you need to get rid of the Sockets, CoresPerSocket,
> ThreadsPerCore settings and use CPUs=16.

Hmmm. That is interesting. I had missed that line, and it's an issue that
we have faced as well - although I remain confused. The very next line is

"Note also if you are running with more than 1 thread per core and running
the select/cons_res plugin you will want to set the SelectTypeParameters
variable to something other than CR_CPU to avoid unexpected results."

Which seems to be an incredibly clunky way of saying "you can't (or
shouldn't might be more correct) have both >1 thread per core and
cons_res". Actually, strictly it's "if you set CR_CPU and cons_res then
<magic glitter>".

Is my reading of that correct?

cheers
L.

------
"The antidote to apocalypticism is *apocalyptic civics*. Apocalyptic civics
is the insistence that we cannot ignore the truth, nor should we panic
about it. It is a shared consciousness that our institutions have failed
and our ecosystem is collapsing, yet we are still here — and we are
creative agents who can shape our destinies. Apocalyptic civics is the
conviction that the only way out is through, and the only way through is
together. "

*Greg Bloom* @greggish
https://twitter.com/greggish/status/873177525903609857