From: Andy Riebs [mailto:andy.ri...@hpe.com]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 12:30 PM
To: slurm-dev <slurm-dev@schedmd.com>
Subject: [slurm-dev] Re: slurm with PMI2

FWIW, we include these options when we build mvapich2:

        --with-pmi=pmi2 \
        --with-pm=slurm \
        --with-slurm=/opt/slurm  \
        --enable-slurm=yes"

It feels like there is some redundancy there, but it works!

Andy
On 09/29/2017 12:12 PM, Sebastian Eastham wrote:
Dear Slurm Developers mailing list,

I was hoping for a quick clarification regarding PMI2 support in slurm. We are
running slurm v14.11.5, and installing MVAPICH2 v2.3b, which is listed as
preferring PMI2. However, we found upon trying to configure MVAPICH2 that we
could not use the flag “--with-pmi=pmi2”, as this resulted in the error “could
not find slurm/pmi2.h”. As a result, we built MVAPICH2 without this flag.
Strangely, we can successfully run MVAPICH2 MPI jobs with slurm, using srun -n
$SLURM_NTASKS --mpi=pmi2 ./my_binary, but code which requires communication
between cores is running extremely slowly. My assumption is that this is
because PMI2 is not actually being used, in spite of the --mpi-pmi2 flag for
srun.

My questions are:

  1.  I notice that “srun --mpi=list” shows pmi2 as an option, and that I can
launch srun with the flag --mpi=pmi2. However, given that our installed
slurm/lib directory does not contain a libpmi2.so file (only
libpmi.*/libslurm*.* etc), and I cannot find pmi2.h installed anywhere, am I
right in thinking that our as-installed version of slurm does not support PMI2?
Some of the archived mailing list posts seem to support this conclusion, but I
was not sure.
  2.  If indeed we do not have pmi2 support, what is the procedure to upgrade
our build to include pmi2 support? Can this be done without fully reinstalling
slurm? If so, how? If not, what additional steps will need to be taken on the
reinstall to ensure that slurm has the required pmi2 support?

I appreciate any help or guidance that you can give me!

Regards,

Seb

Dr. Sebastian D. Eastham
Research Scientist
Laboratory for Aviation and the Environment
Massachusetts Institute of Technology