On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, Christopher Samuel wrote:

On 29/09/17 06:34, Jacob Chappell wrote:

Hi all. The slurm.conf documentation says that if decayed usage is
disabled, then PriorityUsageResetPeriod must be set to some value. Is
this really true? What is the technical reason for this requirement if
so? Can we set this period to sometime far into the future to have
effectively an infinite period (no reset)?

Basically this is because once a user exceeds something like their
maximum CPU run time limit then they will never be able to run jobs
again unless you either decay or reset usage.

Melbourne Bioinformatics - The University of Melbourne
Email: sam...@unimelb.edu.au Phone: +61 (0)3 903 55545

To answer your question, it is not required.  Although if you do not
have it set, you will, as Christopher pointed out, have to do something
to reset usage if you do not want people to lose ability to run jobs
forever.

We have a couple of different "types" of allocations with different
reset periods, so a global PriorityUsageResetPeriod does not work for
us.  Instead we have cron jobs that run at the appropriate times
and do something like sacctmgr update account name=XXX rawusage=0
to do our resets.  But PriorityUsageResetPeriod is set to none.

Tom Payerle
DIT-ACIGS/Mid-Atlantic Crossroads       paye...@umd.edu
5825 University Research Court          (301) 405-6135
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20740-3831