Hi Magnus,

On 8/30/23 11:17, Hagdorn, Magnus Karl Moritz wrote:
On Wed, 2023-08-30 at 10:38 +0200, Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
This is a very useful example!  I guess that you have also defined
EnergyIPMIUsername and EnergyIPMIPassword in acct_gather.conf?  How
is the
EnergyIPMIPassword protected from normal users if the
/etc/slurm/acct_gather.conf file exists?

it talks to the BMC via to OS, so no password/user required.

Ah, of course, the slurmd on your nodes can do local IPMI commands :-)

An EnergyIPMIFrequency of 10 seconds sounds like it could put a high
load
on the BMC and the server?

that might be my problem - I haven't checked that.

Maybe this could be a problem. It's anyway better not to have "OS jitter" in HPC compute nodes by having system tasks executing too frequently.

I have never tested IPMI DCMI_ENHANCED commands.  Do you have some
FreeIMPI commands which can be used to verify the basic IPMI
DCMI_ENHANCED
functionality?

I checked the spec sheet of our BMC which suggested that it should be
able to do DCMI_ENHANCED

That's good to know. Our servers from Huawei don't seem to support DCMI_ENHANCED.

The following ipmitool command works locally on a node, but I can't figure out the corresponding command to use with FreeIPMI.

# ipmitool dcmi power reading

    Instantaneous power reading:                   689 Watts
    Minimum during sampling period:                 19 Watts
    Maximum during sampling period:                905 Watts
    Average power reading over sample period:      682 Watts
    IPMI timestamp:                           Wed Aug 30 09:35:28 2023
    Sampling period:                          00000001 Seconds.
    Power reading state is:                   activated

Best regards,
Ole