Hi Jeffrey,

On 10/30/23 20:15, Jeffrey R. Lang wrote:
The service is available in RHEL 8 via the EPEL package repository as
system-networkd, i.e. systemd-networkd.x86_64
        253.4-1.el8    epel

Thanks for the info. We can install the systemd-networkd RPM from the EPEL repo as you suggest.

I tried to understand the properties of systemd-networkd before implementing it in our compute nodes. While there are lots of networkd man-pages, it's harder to find an overview of the actual properties of networkd. This is what I found:

* Networkd is a service included in recent versions of Systemd. It seems to be an alternative to NetworkManager.

* Red Hat has stated that systemd-networkd is NOT going to be implemented in RHEL 8 or 9.

* Comparing systemd-networkd and NetworkManager: https://fedoracloud.readthedocs.io/en/latest/networkd.html

* Networkd is described in the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd

While networkd seems to be really nifty, I hesitate to replace NetworkManager by networkd on our EL8 and EL9 systems because this is an unsupported and only lightly tested setup, and it may require additional work to keep our systems up-to-date in the future.

It seems to me that Max Rutkowski's solution in https://github.com/maxlxl/network.target_wait-for-interfaces is less intrusive than converting to systemd-networkd.

Best regards,
Ole