For those wondering, this also works for the new Ubuntu 16.04 LTS dataset released last week.
However the 'dbus' package needs to be installed first.

On 2016-03-10 21:47, Jorge Schrauwen wrote:
Hey All,

I've been playing around with SaltStack 2016.3 on the CentOS 7
lx-dataset images.
As I made some changes to that version I wanted to test. Stuff like
setting timezone, hostname,... is broken.

This is due to the lack of a lot of cgroups suppport, but there is a
'easy' workaround.

---
## disable some functions because lx-brand (TODO: remove once implemented)
      for svc in systemd-timedated systemd-hostnamed; do
        override_dir=/etc/systemd/system/${svc}.service.d
        override_svc=${override_dir}/override.conf
        mkdir -p ${override_dir}

echo "[Service]" > ${override_svc}
echo "PrivateTmp=no" >> ${override_svc}
echo "PrivateDevices=no" >> ${override_svc}
echo "PrivateNetwork=no" >> ${override_svc}
echo "ProtectSystem=no" >> ${override_svc}
echo "ProtectHome=no" >> ${override_svc}

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart ${svc}
done
---

This created 2 override files for systemd-hostnamed and
systemd-timedated, it forces off some of the 'protections' that depend
on the not support cgroups bits.

These changes are persistent even if the package updates the .service
file. (yay!)

After placing the 2 override files and reloading + restarting the
service the following 2 tools work again. hostnamectl and timedatectl.

Hopefully this is useful for some of you, it would also be nice to
have this in the images that get pulled down.

Regards

Jorge