I would recommend Plan C. We've used SmartOS for years, with hundreds of
servers as storage backend, serving thousands of Linux/Mac/Windows clients.
Joyent has the best talented engineers and they are always willing to help.

By the way, we don't care much about packages, a stable and reliable kernel
is our requirement.