Just wanted to check in to see if anybody had any recommendations for tuning
parameters for 10GbE performance or iSCSI.

I have 2 Myricom 10GbE adapters direct connected to one another. On the SmartOS
side, I have an iSCSI ZFS volume set up. On the Mac side, I’m using GlobalSAN
to attach to the SmartOS volume. Jumbo frames (MTU=9000) are enabled on both
sides. I’ve benchmarked my performance using netperf, and I’m seeing the
following (executed from the Mac side, netperf server running on SmartOS):

# netperf -H 192.168.2.2 -t TCP_STREAM -C -c -l 60  -- -s 512K -S 512K
MIGRATED TCP STREAM TEST from (null) (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to (null) () port
0 AF_INET
Recv   Send    Send                          Utilization       Service Demand
Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              Send     Recv     Send    Recv
Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  local    remote   local   remote
bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/s  % O      % ?      us/KB   us/KB

524744 524288 524288    60.00      5512.56   6.35     10.42    1.132   -0.310

I’ve also created a very large file of 0’s, and am using “dd” to copy them
over. Here’s what I’m seeing when running that on the Mac:

# time dd if=junk.zero of=/Volumes/remote/junk.zero bs=1048576
43158+1 records in
43158+1 records out
45254967296 bytes transferred in 92.342684 secs (490076369 bytes/sec)

real    1m32.382s
user    0m0.041s
sys     0m30.624s

I’ve followed a few tuning guides on the Mac, which actually brought the
numbers up to the levels I’m showing here. I’m now looking for things on the
SmartOS side that can help. BTW, I did try the suggestions here
(https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-39156
<https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-39156>), but changing those properties
didn’t seem to make a difference to any of my numbers.

According to my Mac, I have good throughput to the Myricom card itself (a value
of 1280 corresponds to 10Gb/sec), so I don’t think that there’s an issue
between the Mac and my ethernet card. The card is in a Mercury Helios external
cage, connected via Thunderbolt 2 (20Gbs top speed). The card is a Myricom
10G-PCIE2-8B2-2S NIC.

# sysctl net.myri10ge | grep dma
net.myri10ge.en13.dma_read_bw_MBs: 1436
net.myri10ge.en13.dma_write_bw_MBs: 1456
net.myri10ge.en13.dma_read_write_bw_MBs: 2610
net.myri10ge.en12.dma_read_bw_MBs: 1436
net.myri10ge.en12.dma_write_bw_MBs: 1456
net.myri10ge.en12.dma_read_write_bw_MBs: 2610

Finally, the SmartOS system itself is a SuperMicro X8DTE-F running 2 Xeon
L5630’s (16 cores total) with 96GB of ECC memory and a three 3TB hard drives,
in a 3-way mirror, that the iSCSI volume is on. Synchronization is disabled:

[root@smartos ~]# zfs get sync zones/zpool/iscsi-1
NAME                 PROPERTY  VALUE     SOURCE
zones/zpool/iscsi-1  sync      disabled  local

Sorry for the long post, but trying to supply any pertinent information without
people having to ask for it. Any help in boosting these numbers would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
John