On 17 March 2018 at 17:23, Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org> wrote:
> /usr/perl5 is intended only for the operation of illumos components which
> require perl. The intention is that, over time, these perl (and probably
> Java, too) components will be rewritten in C or deprecated, as appropriate.
>
> If you require a general-purpose perl interpreter for your applications, it's
> recommended that you install and use the versions made available through
> pkgsrc. With that, you may exercise version and feature control as you see
> fit.

In particular, I believe there is a pkgsrc bootstrap targeted
specifically for use in the SmartOS global zone, available at:

    http://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/#tools-install
    (make sure you click the "64-bit tools (SmartOS GZ)" tab)

If this is missing software that you need for some management purpose
in the global zone, it's possible that the pkgsrc folks can add more
things to the set!

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow