most laptops have special circuitry to control the display - sometimes
available via acpi. sometimes via other more esoteric means. unfortunately
illumos has very little support here - very often the details are
proprietary and only available under NDA. (I recall this was true for
Toshibas we added this support for nearly a decade ago.) You are probably
out of luck here. :/ If Linux can do it then there is at least a chance
someone could add it - but to be honest it’s probably not a priority.

There are folks you can probably pay to develop this if information is
available - my own company for one - but I doubt its worth to you what
anyone qualified would charge you. :/