Yes, it appears that the root cause of my frustration is that protocol names
aren't completely standard from system to system, and I had an old IPF ruleset
for IPV6 that used "icmpv6" (iirc), which causes the rule to throw an error
because that's not what the protocol is called on illumos. Rather than consult
/etc/protocols, I decided it would be better to just randomly start changing
things, a clear sign that I was up working past my bed time :)

Thanks again for the tips and confirmation.

Bill