I build pkgin (pkgsrc?) packages of certain tools, customized to my own
needs. To get them on my hosts I stick them in Manta, and config-management
downloads them and installs them from the local filesystem. This has always
seemed crude and clumsy, but works.

Now I'm looking at deploying my own code via pkgin packages, but I can't
see an efficient way to do it. My stick-it-in-Manta approach can't cut it
with frequently rebuilt packages: I need a proper repo. If I used, say,
ubuntu, my CI pipeline would drop the package in Artifactory or Gemfury or
whatever, and it would be pulled down from there by the proper packaging
tools on the next config-management run.

How would I (could I, even?) implement a similar approach with pkgin on
SmartOS? I haven't been able to find any documentation on running
additional private repos, which is starting to make me wonder if it's even
possible.

Before I start re-inventing wheels, is there any accepted best-practice I
should begin with?

Rob