On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 5:02 AM, Len Weincier <l...@cloudafrica.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-07-25 at 16:58 +0200, Len Weincier wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> We a very strange situation trying to upgrade to a newer smartos image
> where the disk I/O is *very* slow.
>
> I have been working through the released images and the last one that
> works 100% is 20180329T002644Z
>
> From 20180412T003259Z onwards, the release with the new zfs features like
> spacemaps etc, the hosts become unusable in terms of disk i/o
>
> In our testing with the lab machine with only 128G ram we see no
> pathologies.
>
> Hosts are running ALL SSDs (RAIDZ2), and Intel Gold 6150 x2 processors on
> an SMC X11DPH-T board..
> The lab machine with 128GB RAM has exactly the same processors, board, and
> SSD-only setup - except for RAM..
>
> On a production machine with 768G ram and the newer image for eg zfs
> create -V 10G zones/test takes 2 minutes while at the same time iostat is
> showing the disks as relatively idle (%b = 10)
>
> For example inside an ubuntu kvm with postgres we are seeing 40% wait time
> for any disk i/o and there are only 2 vm's running, underlying disks
> essentially idle.
>
> Is there anything we can look at to get to the bottom of this as it pretty
> critical and affecting our customers
>

> Hi
>
> I have managed to grab a bunch of stack traces from a dtrace script on the
> fbt:zfs::entry events and generated a flamegraph while the system was
> behaving badly
>
> https://static.prod.cloudafrica.net/out.svg
>
> This show a bunch of activity in the metaslab allocation if I read it
> correctly ?
>
> Any ideas or anything I can look at please let me know.
>
> I have confirmed that this only occurs when the system is under i/o load.

I've created a platform image based on 20180329T002644Z with this change
that you mentioned removed.

commit f78cdc34af236a6199dd9e21376f4a46348c0d56
Author: Paul Dagnelie <p...@delphix.com>
Date:   Mon Feb 12 12:56:06 2018 -0800

    9112 Improve allocation performance on high-end systems
    Reviewed by: Matthew Ahrens <mahr...@delphix.com>
    Reviewed by: George Wilson <george.wil...@delphix.com>
    Reviewed by: Serapheim Dimitropoulos <serapheim.dimi...@delphix.com>
    Reviewed by: Alexander Motin <m...@freebsd.org>
    Approved by: Gordon Ross <g...@nexenta.com>

My testing has involved booting the iso under vmware and verifying that it
could import an existing single disk pool and run the VMs on it.

Can you give this PI a try?  As a reminder, my testing has been quite
superficial.  I hope it won't eat your data, but can offer no guarantees.

https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/mgerdts/public/pi/len/
platform-20180726T160921Z.tgz
https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/mgerdts/public/pi/len/
platform-20180726T160921Z.iso