arne anka schrieb:
>> A good move in this respect would be if the European Community would
>> simply forbid the practice of subsidizing phones. Maybe we should start
>> a petition for that ;)
> i guess, with apple's and providers' restrictions on available apps for
> phones, thus limiting the freedom of choice for users, we're a step
> closer to that (could be compared to the browser wars).
> but subsidizing devices and making the customers pay kind of rent, is a
> venerable business model.
>
> the lever probably is the freedom of choice (see internet explorer), ie
> the openess in terms of software to be installed by the user, thus
> creating a free market for software and services and destroying the
> benefits of limitation.

You are right, this would be the second way to achieve this, this is, I
would say, the "de jure" way. My proposal would expect the "de facto" to
work after the abandonment ;)

Pitily we will not find out any time soon...

Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de