Neil Jerram wrote:
2009/12/2 Steven Jones <sjo...@enrgies.com>:

My goal is to get Debian installed, as I was unsuccessful with that endeavor
on my Neo1973. I was hoping this would be a smoother effort, but I am stuck
on this (very early) hurdle.

I think you will need to flash one of the modern flashable
distributions first - e.g. Hackable:1, SHR, QtMoko, or OM2009 - and
then proceed from there.  (It looks like there is now too much
distance between the OS installed on a shipped FR, and the online
repositories, and hence those initial opkg commands don't work.)

Regards,
        Neil

i did flash the kernel, rootfs, and bootloader to Qi.
i can't ssh into the fr, but i was able to get networking established, and i ran opkg update and opkg upgrade. after that, i was able to install perl via opkg install perl.
the update fixed the power suspend problems, as they can now be disabled.
i am now trying the install script for debian, one section at a time.

thank you for the help; it's what was needed.