2011/8/24 e.waelde <ew.ng7...@nassur.net>:
> summary: installing Debian (sid,experimental) from scratch works
> such that the new installation boots. X can be started, touch screen
> works, however: trayer icons are dead, zhone does not connect to
> fso-usaged, therefore (?) zhone does not request the PIN, POW and AUX
> buttons remain dead. Details below.

FSO1 is not very usable at the moment, according to some mailing list
messages. I'm not sure if it's a lot of work or less work to find out
what has caused the regression. Note that FSO2 is almost in now, but
not quite:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-fso-maint/2011-August/004321.html

I'm using ca. Debian 6.0 era versions of FSO1 in my daily phone. I
upgraded to Debian 6.0 + pkg-fso in October 2010 and everything worked
(and has worked since). But indeed I noticed that on the fresh sid
install Zhone didn't register into network even after installing it
from experimental. There is probably a problem in downgrading from sid
to Debian 6.0 in that there is plenty of E17 libraries that would need
a bit of downgrading at the same time with zhone/FSO/etc.

Anyway things are getting better, but there is still some way to go.

> time ./install.sh  all
>
> works ok.

Great!

> however, left justified. They used to be on the other side.
> But: zhone does not start, the AUX and POW buttons do not trigger any
> visible action. Touching trayer's icons does not trigger any visible
> action either.

I haven't used the tray much (instead using my own hacky control app
at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:TimoJyrinki), but indeed like
Riccardo mentioned, try the different xorg.conf to resolve the
tslib/evdev conflict. It should fix the slowness / 100% CPU usage
problem.

> Any hints on how to proceed?
>
> I still consider the whole thing a success, allthough my freerunner
> has returned to state "unusable".

First, fix the xorg.conf (and hopefully report success). Then, either
wait for the rest of FSO2 to come and then find an UI that you can use
with it (Zhone as is works only with FSO1, but there have been patches
to port it to FSO2), or shortcut and compile the remaining bits not
yet in archive yourself (fso-datad, fso-deviced, fso-gsmd, fso-tdld,
fso-usaged, fso-common, fso-frameworkd from
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/).

I hope that out-of-the-box phone functionality is back to us with sid
in a couple of weeks, and better than ever.

-Timo