The first problem you describe appears to be a common problem with OS X Mail
and certain ISPs, particularly BT/Yahoo - sometimes the delay when
authenticating is too long (e.g. when the mail server is temporarily down, or
heavily loaded) and this is interpreted by OS X Mail as an authentication
failure, so it pops up a dialog asking for your password. Annoying, but
relatively harmless.

Paul