Hi Sam and Jason,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I took the scary decision to wipe my
hard drive and reinstall the OS. I wasn't going to go up to the very latest
version (I was, and am now, on 10.13.4 on a Retina iMac, late 2015,
21.5-inch), but as my Time Machine back up was very fortunately done at
7.15 yesterday morning, I have had to go fully up to date again in order to
use Migration Assistant. Hopefully this time all will be well.

Thinking back, I have had a few peculiar things happening over the last
week or so leading up to the non-start up. When the Mac went to sleep,
sometimes when I woke it, it was almost as if it had shut down and took
ages to get going again. Also, one older program (Softpress Freeway) loaded
but was not available. I had to force quit it and then try again. Softpress
went out of business a little while ago and their program has not been
updated recently. I believe the company was bought out and the program is
being worked on again now.

I'm doing a new back up now and hope that the Mac will start up properly in
future.

David