Yup, sure enough, iPhone shutdown at ~18% (as it has for ages!) and when I
rebooted, I was told I was in battery performance management mode. For the
past few days the iPhone has been laggy and a pain to use. Turned that mode
off and it's buttery smooth again.

Hmmm, was it just PR about the "throttling" then? The performance
management spiel might be true and technically get better use from the
battery, but it makes the iPhone a bore to use and certainly 'nagged me' to
upgrade. With it turned off, I'd rather simply a new battery and keep
going. It works just fine!

Adam