On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:34 PM, Spencer <spencertpar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My entry into the snap world has been a tough one.  There is online
> documentation, but it is not kept up-to-date.  I get the feeling that the
> bar for entry is the need to be the kind of person who loves to learn
> everything about a system by becoming one of its developers.  For example,
> I couldn't figure out how to use the scons plugin until I dug into the
> python code for it.  Is it documented somewhere?  I don't know.

I share your feeling. We're doing a suboptimal job on documentation, both
for snapcraft and for snapd itself. We need fix that.

Anyhow, talking with someone on this mailing list, I learned a very useful
> thing: if you go down the snap road, you want to learn how to get the log
> information from you

app when it's installed in strict mode.  I know of no other way to diagnose
> problems with your app exhibited in strict mode, but no where else.

Logs are indeed the best way at the moment. We need to introduce some
further tooling to help out on the process.

> Lastly, snaps, for now, once installed, can only be run from the command
> line.  There is no desktop integration, even though, oddly, a desktop file
> is required.  And I have no idea when or if an accepted snap will show up
> in the app directory.

We need to catch up with the desktop team to see what are the dependencies
on this area.

Regarding the review process, are you finding any delays?  The goal is for
it to be reviewed within a day or two at most, assuming it gets blocked on
review at all.

We're also working to reduce much the need for manual reviews, so that more
applications can benefit from instantaneous publishing.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net