On Mon, 2016-10-10 at 23:29 -0600, Spencer wrote:
> One advantage of snaps, I believe, is that the dependencies are baked
> into them.  Otherwise, your app can stop working after installation
> if a dependency is updated or otherwise changed.  I'm not sure what
> other advantages there may be.  One downside is extra memory cost,
> but with storage up to a terabyte being typical, I don't think it
> matters too much.

That's one of the main reasons I like using snaps, everything is built
in, I don't have to search all over for dependencies. As you said,
everything is there.

> Though I have an Intel machine, my snaps always say "amd64", which I
> think is confusing.
>
> Supposedly, you can write snaps for the Ubuntu phone.  (I have an
> iPhone, so I'm not sure what that's about.). And there is something
> called the Ubuntu touch?  Is that like the iPad?  I think some Ubuntu
> specific features have been added to Qt as well to help promote
> development on Ubuntu.  I'm a big fan of wxWidgets, personally.
>
> And then everything runs in a quarantined environment.  If you're
> going to open the flood gates on people writing and consuming
> programs, security becomes a necessary evil.

That's the main selling point for me, everything is 'sandboxed'

> I haven't explored the plugs and slots yet.

I've read about them is about it. I may try my hand as building a few
simples ones just to see how easy/hard it is.

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C