On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 4:26 AM, Christian Ehrhardt <
christian.ehrha...@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Dmitrii Shcherbakov <
> dmitrii.shcherba...@canonical.com> wrote:
> >

> > TL;DR: Putting libvirt and QEMU into the same snap removes an ability
> > to update them independently and only use new QEMU binaries after VM
> > shutdown.
> >

> [...]
>
> 7 If a QEMU process is terminated via SIGTERM or SIGKILL, the guest
> > kernel page cache and buffer cache will not be dropped which will
> > highly likely cause a file system corruption.
> >

> There are hooks you can link in yourself for upgrades IIRC.
> That could be used to at least gracefully shut them down - but I agree that
> there should be no reason to do so at all.
> The qemu's should continue to run through and after the update.
>
> [...]
>

> > The idea with any 'classic' package management system (for debs, rpms
> > etc.) is as follows:
> >
> > 1 Updates move new files over the old ones. That is, shared objects
> > and binaries are unlinked but not overwritten - if there is still a
> > process that has a file open (or mmaped which requires a file to be
> > open) an old inode and the related data on a file system is kept until
> > the reference count is zero;
> >
> > 2 Running programs can use old binaries and shared objects which they
> > have open until restart
> >

> [...]
>

> > 1 A new squashfs and an old squash fs are obviously different file
> > systems - hence inodes refer to different file systems;
> >
> > 2 All processes are killed during an update unconditionally and the
> > new file system is used to run new processes;
> >

> Yeah for server side things with a longer lifecycle that doesn't seem
> right.
>

> > 3 Some libraries are taken from the core snap's file system which
> > remains the same (but may change as the core snap may have been
> > updated before while a particular snap used an old version of it).
> >

> In some sense the squashfs entry points can be considered your new inode.
> All new application starts should be from the new version, but any old
> program could continue to run from the old content.
> That would be true for core-snap and application snap - only once all old
> refs are gone the old version can "really" go away.
>
> So think of an upgrade:
> PRE: content in /snap/app/oldver/foo
> UPGRAD adds: /snap/app/newver/foo
> UPGRADE changes: /snap/app/current is set to newver
> But /snap/app/oldver/foo would stay around and running applications kept
> alive.
> Only once the last one is gone /snap/app/oldver would completely vanish.

I like this suggestion. It sounds similar to this, which seems to be how
traditional libvirt/qemu packages work:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/74142/why-does-a-software-package-run-just-fine-even-when-it-is-being-upgraded

Dmitrii, it sound likes without any support like that above, any update to
the qemu/libvirt snap would require all VMs to be shut down during the
update.  Is that right?  If so that's going to be a tough situation.

Corey