Whups, I missed out an important "NOT" in the second-to-last paragraph.
Corrected version is below:

-----Original Message-----
From: Colbeck, Andrew
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 10:29 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Re[2]: [sniffer] Version 2-3.0i8 published.

If I might butt in ...

If you fire up Task Manager on a windows machine (or your favourite ps tool
elsewhere), and set the View, Update Speed to High, then sort by the name in
reverse, you will see multiple sniffer.exe and one with a PID that doesn't
change.  That's your persistent instance.

What you should see is that all other instances of sniffer.exe wink in and
out, with an ever-changing PID.  So far, so good.

Under a heavy load, your system is slow enough that you will see multiple
sniffer.exe instances, and maybe they are using CPU and maybe not, depending
on where the CPU load on your system is coming from.

If those multiple instances are all using a small amount of RAM, and only
the persistent instance uses 4,000 KB of memory, then the code is working
well for you.  The client instances are NOT loading the rulebase.

If some of those instances also have 4,000 KB of memory allocated, then they
have gotten impatient and decided to load the rulebase and process the
message for themselves.  If you have a lot of impatient clients, they will
exacerbate your memory and CPU stress, thus the new 2-3.0i8 code that lets
them wait longer.

Andrew 8)