Pete

OK, I now have much more information on this problem with
Declude/Sniffer/SmarterMail.

It seems the current version of Declude does not have an Overflow Directory
for SmarterMail, which therefore allows unlimited Declude processes to be
spawned at any time. At our peak we were seeing a surge of more than 1,000
declude.exe instances running at the same time! This of course flattened the
server, and seems the reason why Sniffer was dropping out of its perpetual
mode, unfortunately compounding the problem when the server had least
resources.

On speaking with Declude, thankfully they have been working on a version to
control the number of processes running, and have let us have a BETA version
which allows us to set the number of processes to a setting of our choice -
we have it at 30 and it's working fine!

One thing we did whilst in the middle of this was to move all the log and
spool files to a standalone disk instead of the RAID5 array for the main
server, and we have seen a real reduction in the physical disk queue
lengths, which, under significant load, helps. Worth knowing.

So the migration is complete with all users running as normal on SmarterMail
instead of iMail. Hope some people can learn from our pain!

Nick