On Saturday, April 2, 2005, 1:07:56 PM, Andrew wrote:

CA> Pete, your metaphors are wonderful.

:-)

<snip/>

CA> If I remember correctly, the "MaxPollTime" was originally much lower.  I
CA> now use the full 4 seconds, but I don't know how often that's needed.  I
CA> easily see Declude processes taking longer than this, sometimes at 100%
CA> of my CPU (with Task Manager update speed set to High)

In persistent mode the max poll time does not matter. It would only
matter if the system fell back into peer-server mode. With persistent
mode the client instances coordinate their timing with the server
instance based on the data in the .stat file.

CA> I also set "Lifetime" to 0 (because I don't expect the service to need
CA> stopping), and "Persistence" to 12 hours.  I'm hedging my bet with
CA> Persistence, because I normally expect a twice daily rulebase update,
CA> and my update mechanism should initiate a reload.

This seems fine given that you issue reload with your updates.
However, you should know that udpates are generally much more frequent
than every 12 hours. More in the range of every 5 hours or so at this
time.

Best,