I have 46 RBL's configured, though 16 are configured to score differently on last hop and prior hops. I would say that more than 35 of these are things that I would not like to lose.

I weight most RBL's at around half of my Hold weight in Declude. False positives on my system typically hit about 5 different tests of various types before they get enough weight to be blocked. Sniffer is the test most often a part of false positives, being a contributing factor in about half of them. About 3/4 of all FP's (things that are blocked by my system) are some form of automated or bulk E-mail. That's not to say that other tests are more accurate; they are just scored more appropriately and tend to hit less often, but the FP issues with Sniffer have grown due to cross checking automated rules with other lists that I use, causing two hits on a single piece of data. For instance, if SURBL has an FP on a domain, it is possible that Sniffer will pick that up too based on an automated cross reference, and it doesn't take but one additional minor test to push something into Hold on my system.

IMO, the more tests, the better. It's the best way to mitigate FP's. I don't look to Sniffer as anything more than a contributer to the overall score. Sniffer can't block a message going to my system on it's own due to it's weighting. I think it's more important to be accurate than to hit more volume, and handling false positive reports with Sniffer is cumbersome for both me and Sniffer. I would hope that any changes seek to increase accuracy above all else. Sniffer does a very good job of keeping up with spam, and it's main issues with leakage are caused by not being real-time, but that's ok with me. At the same time Sniffer is the test most often a part of false positives, being a contributing factor in about half of them. About 3/4 of all FP's (things that are blocked by my system) are some form of automated or bulk E-mail. That's not to say that other tests are more accurate; they are just scored more appropriately and tend to hit less often, but the FP issues with Sniffer have grown due to cross checking automated rules with other lists that I use, causing two hits on a single piece of data, and the growth of the Sniffer userbase which has become more likely to report first-party advertising as spam, either manually or through an automated submission mechanism.

Matt

Pete McNeil wrote:

Hello Sniffer Folks,

I have a design question for you...

How many DNS based tests do you use in your filter system?

How many of them really matter?

Thanks!