Hello Markus,

Wednesday, June 7, 2006, 7:43:36 AM, you wrote:

> Today I've noticed that there is a relation between  the recipient
> adresses that was used in the past 36 hours in the numeric spam
> messages and the following wave of stock-spam messages containing
> this  png-graphic. After checking around 10 Mailboxes there is a
> correspondence of  100%. Or they have received both or none of this
> two messages. For example my  personal mailbox "markus" who's well
> spread and destination of many other spams  hasn't received it.
> Other mailboxes like "domain" and "internet" that are pretty
> unknown and rarely used has received both.

It's a good possibility that the "probe" was a broken version of the
stock spam, that the errors were corrected and the campaign was
re-sent.

A second possibility is that the "probe" was truly a probe and that it
was used to clean rejected addresses from the list prior to sending
the stock spam in an effort to maximize the effectiveness of the
burst.

-- as far fetched as that may sound, the blackhats do have a virtually
unlimited (all be it stolen) computing resource at their disposal and
it would not be unreasonable to expect them to leverage that system to
maximize their impact. The way they are shaping their deliveries these
days clearly indicates that they are taking steps to maximize their
impact.

Pete McNeil
Chief Scientist,
Arm Research Labs, LLC.