Hello Chris,

Sunday, December 3, 2006, 2:47:50 PM, you wrote:

All of a sudden I have a bunch of .xxx and .fin files in my ms directory, what are these for?

Those files were always there -- but they have always gone away quickly enough that you didn't notice (I suspect).

http://kb.armresearch.com/index.php?title=Message_Sniffer.TechnicalDetails.Peer-Server

If you have a number of these files that are not going away then something has gone wrong -- possibly during a reboot or some kind of change, or perhaps if your server has been overloaded.

You can usually clear the problem by following this procedure:

1. Stop SMTP processing

2. Wait for all messages to be finished

3. Stop your persistent instance (if you have one).

4. Delete any left-over XXX, FIN, QUE, etc files (see the list in the above link).

5. Start your persistent instance (if you have one).

6. Restart your SMTP processing.

7. Check your SNF log file for any errors.

Hope this helps,

Pete McNeil

Chief Scientist,

Arm Research Labs, LLC.