From: Pete McNeil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 21:44:18
To:"Message Sniffer Community" <sniffer@sortmonster.com>
Subject: [sniffer] Re: Appriver issue

Hello Kevin,

Friday, May 18, 2007, 8:52:47 PM, you wrote:

> Pete - Thanks for the reply, but I guess I don't understand what you're
> saying.  "Some packet loss" and "rulebase downloads to slow down for a
> time" don't reflect what happened to me yesterday and apparently not
> what happened to one of the other posters either when he said that
> Appriver was having a problem "with sending messages over and over
> again".  I received over (at last count) 35,000 messages (almost all of
> which were bounced replies, from one email from one of our users who
> sent an email to about 70 people) yesterday.

> And I had already gone to http://www.armresearch.com/  yesterday and
> there was nothing there.  There is nothing there today that I can see.

> What happened?  I lost an entire day's worth of email because of bounced
> messages.  I didn't sleep last night.  I don't even use Appriver.  I
> would hope someone could explain it a little better than that.  Thanks.

I was answering the question - how is AppRiver related to Message
Sniffer.

I don't have specifics on the problem at AppRiver yet - they are still
picking up the pieces, though operations are back to normal afaik. I
do know (preliminarily) that the problem occurred when a new piece of
software caused some messages with multiple recipients to loop and as
a result to be replicated and resent repeatedly.

If you are not a user of AppRiver then you shouldn't have been
effected. Perhaps if you sent a message to someone who is a user of
AppRiver then that might have gotten your messages involved.

The only direct effect I'm aware of for SNF users was that for a time
rulebase downloads were slowed due to packet loss.

Since we use AppRiver for filtering (they, after all are using SNF)
some messages that get sent to us apparently did loop to some lists.
Also, some email to our accounts was delayed.

I would need to know a lot more about your system and the email you
lost before I could make any guesses as to what happened there -- but
if you're not using AppRiver then you shouldn't have been effected.

Hope this helps,

_M

--
Pete McNeil
Chief Scientist,

To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Send administrative queries to  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>