Keith,

When I looked at this several years ago, this is what I came up with:

   Windows allows a total of 48 MB in the heap, and each service
   started process uses the third setting in the chain, or 512 KB by
default, and there is about 10 MB that gets used for other things. Based on what Scott Perry wrote concerning this in a obscure page on
   the Declude site about Declude Queue, there can only be a total of
   77 service started processes before having issues, and you can
   assume that there will be one for Declude up to my limit of 40, and
   also often times another process whether it is a virus scanner or
   external filter application in JunkMail.

   Windows apparently starts to barf when the limit is reached, and
   applications can go into a bad state, only partially launching and
   becoming corrupted.  This has a high association with load, but the
   true association seems to be the number of processes, which
   typically correspond to load but not necessarily.  This is probably
   also what has caused McAfee to barf on occasion on my server with
   similar errors.  McAfee has a decent amount of latency compared to
   most other things that Declude launches except of course for
   Eradispam due to the timeout issues.

   There are two camps on what to do with the mystery heap, aka desktop
   heap.  Some have indicated on the IMail and Declude lists in the
   past that setting it to 2048 would resolve some issues with IMail's
   SMTP and also the 16 bit version of F-Prot when run from Declude
   which is awfully slow and CPU intensive.  That change however would
   reduce the number of service started processes that were possible by
   a factor of 4.  Scott suggests that reducing it to maybe 256 would
   help in high traffic servers, though this is a limit that you
   wouldn't want to pass because it could cause instability.

FYI, the error messages will contribute to heap usage, so these must be cleared, and when you have a bunch of these, it will limit what you can run, and in fact make the problem worse.

If you are using Declude as a service, that certainly takes one process off the top that used to count towards the heap, but it's likely what is running concurrently that is causing the issue along with error dialogs. Weightgate certainly adds to this issue, as well as other plugins and virus scanners. The best solution for a high volume server that wants to do weight skipping would be for either Sniffer or Declude to skip based on both a high and a low weight within the config. I have been asking for over three years for this and have even recently documented a solution for Declude that would be backwards compatible with current configs should they opt to do this.

Here's a quote from the old Declude site authored by Scott:

   *Flaw #1 - Server crashing: Microsoft's Mystery Heap*
   Fortunately, not many people experience this problem. However, it is
   listed first because it is more serious than the other flaw. This
   one can back up mail for hours/days, and crash the server.

   The problem here is that each process that is started by a service
   uses a certain (unknown) amount of an undocumented type of memory
   that Windows allocates. Without knowing how much of the mystery heap
   is used, or how much is left, or how much is available when the
   system starts, it's impossible to know when you will run out.

   When you DO run out, Windows does a *terrible* job in handling it.
   Instead of preventing the program from loading and recording an
   error to the event log, Windows will keep the program half-loaded
   (the error almost always occurs while loading .DLLs) and pop up an
   error message saying that it can't start the program.

   When this happens, unless you happen to be at the server, you won't
   have a chance to close the box. So, another one will soon pop up as
   another SMTP process is started. By the time you find out, there
   could be hundreds or thousands of the pop-up boxes. Since Microsoft
   doesn't clear them automatically, when the original 30 SMTP
   processes end, there still isn't enough of this mystery heap left,
   because Microsoft is using it to display these error messages. So
   until you click "OK" to all the hundreds of pop-up boxes, or you
   reboot the computer, new mail will not be delivered. Eventually, the
   server may crash completely.

   *Additional Help*
   Most versions of Windows NT/2000 will apparently by default allocate
   512KB of the "Mystery Heap" to each service-started process. There
   is also apparently a total of 48MB of the "Mystery Heap" available.
   That means you can have a maximum of about 77 service-started
   processes (48Megs minus (3Meg * 3 default desktops) minus (1Meg
   system-wide) divided by 512). Changing it to 256KB should
   approximately double the amount of service-started processes that
   can run before the mystery heap is depleted. However, some people
   have reported better results by raising the value to 2048KB --
   that's one of the problems with undocumented resources (there's no
   way to know for sure which value is better or why).

   We recommend going to
   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q142676 and
   changing the registry entry to use a value of "256" or "2048" (NOTE:
   Microsoft recommends 512 in that article; if you use 512, make sure
   not to have IMail's MaxQueProc registry entry set to more than 30).

Matt

Keith Johnson wrote:
Darrell,

Did you alter your heap size 3rd entry?  If so, did you go to 1024 or other.  I
found this article by crossing a Declude page, appears to be what I need to go
after.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q142676

-Keith

  _____