Hello Phillip,

> I just tried installing the beta and it appeared to work too well as
> it was sending all the mail to the spam box.  I am not sure if this
> was due to the bad rule that was just replaced or something I was doing wrong.

The bad rule turned out not to be as bad as we suspected -- so I don't
think that was the problem. Also the bad rule has been gone for a
while so you're not likely to have it in your rulebase.

> I am currently running in the persistent mode. I set the xml file to
> point to the correct paths in the 4 places and started up the sniffer
> server. I then changed the bat file that the agent calls to
> run  snifclient.exe file licenseID %1 is this the correct format?  I
> am still using an old vopmail 5 mail server.

The correct way to call SNFClient.exe is either just like you call the
older SNF (compatibility mode):

SNFClient.exe authenticationxx scanthis.msg

I'm guessing from your notes and memory

SNFClient.exe authenticationxx %1

---

The other way you can call SNFClient.exe to perform a scan is simply:

SNFClient.exe scantthis.msg

---

If you run SNFClient.exe without any parameters it will remind you how
it can be used.

If you called it with:

SNFClient.exe file licenseid %1

Then that would be too many parameters so you would probably get an
error and possibly a nonzero result. I may simply be misinterpreting
your notes - but if you did something like this in your script (batch
file) then it's possible the result would be to hold every message.

> At the moment I switched back to the old version of sniffer after
> going through 600 emails by hand and sorting out  spam and real mail
> and manually placing them in the correct mailboxes, that was fun.

Sorry about that.

I tried to be as explicit as possible in the readme files and the help
system in the program itself (running SNFClient.exe on the command
line by itself should list all of the ways the client can be called.)

The new SNF doesn't have a persistent and non-persistent mode like the
old version. Instead, it is strictly a client/server model. Run the
SNFServer.exe program as described in the read me and then leave it
running.

Then, with your message processing script you can call the
SNFClient.exe program in place of the old SNF program without any
modifications if that is easier -- -the SNFClient.exe will accept the
same parameters as the old SNF program without a problem. This makes
it relatively easy to switch back (as you did).

If you start out running the SNFServer from the command line then it's
display will help you to know when things are working correctly -- you
will be able to see when messages start going through and you should
quickly get an idea of what looks correct.

Once you're confident in that setup then you can run the SNFServer
using srvany or firedaemon or your other favorite utility that runs
programs as a service.

Hope this helps,

Pete McNeil
Chief Scientist,