Hello Alberto,

> Pete Thank you very much for your very exhaustive response!

It's what we do. ;-)

> Do you have any other information on this technology called Gauntlet that
> seems me very very
> interesting.

There really isn't much more to it than what's been said. The concept
has been around for several years now -- the details are platform and
policy specific. We have it on the drawing board to include it as a
feature in some platforms that we support - however that is a
complicated piece of engineering since each platform is different and
we support _MANY_ platforms.

(sideline = put messages through the gauntlet)

Consider just a few, for example:

MDaemon calls SNF as a plugin and doesn't provide any simple (fool
proof) method for message re-injection. Also, it is not clear that
there is a friendly and reliable way to "sideline" the messages on
this platform.

We could sideline messages in IMail by parking the Q and D files in a
special directory and then later re-processing them through SNF back
to the spool...

-- But, if Declude is present then we might instead wish to re-process
the messages through the proc folder, and there are uncertainties
about when and how to do this and how to pace it.

-- If mxGuard is in place -- how would we re-process the messages at
all?

-- How could we ensure that virus scanning etc would be enabled (or
not if desired?)

SmarterMail could be handled (presumably) in a similar way to IMail
except that the file structures are different as are a few assumptions
about message processing and acceptable loads, etc.

In Postfix systems we would need to create our own data structures to
capture envelope information before we sidelined the message -- all
that in addition to considerations of other processes that might be in
place (without notice) and might need to be considered when we
re-process the messages.

Communigate systems store routing information in the message file
itself which would simplify sidelining the messages but complicates
the re-processing task - and again there are other processes that
might be in place unannounced...

----

All that by way of illustrating that the concept of "Gauntlet" is
powerful and simple to understand, but not so simple to implement.

For now we've been describing it to folks and helping them implement
versions of Gauntlet in their proprietary systems.

With a bit of luck and elbow grease we will hopefully release
utilities and/or special versions of SNF to support this on some
platforms -- This is particularly attractive since the GBUdb engine
produces signals that theoretically allow us to activate and
deactivate (or desensitize) Gauntlet under specific conditions very
accurately.

Specifically, GBUdb can provide a clear signal for the presence of a
spam storm by monitoring Black and Caution activity. GBUdb also
provides ready statistics on IPs so that we can define which IPs not
to sideline (when the IP is reasonably well known and reasonably
unlikely to send spam).

-- That's about all I can think of to say about it at this time (at
least without some more specific questions).

> But I don't think that Mxguard can manage all of this you are explaining in
> the message.

That's probably true -- but not certain.

Consider, for example, that your re-injection script could act just
like IMail...

* Drop the D file back into the spool

* Drop the Q file back into the spool

* IMMEDIATELY call mxGuard with the Q file in precisely the same way
IMail does.

In theory this would work for mxGuard or Declude since both programs
would see this activity no differently than if IMail had just dropped
a new message in for processing.

That's a very big "In theory" -- because I've not tried it, but based
on the available documentation the theory is sound.

> I will try to write a CDM to solve my queue problems

Please keep us posted.

Pete McNeil
Chief Scientist,
Arm Research Labs, LLC.