Hello Matt,

Friday, May 9, 2008, 5:10:29 PM, you wrote:

I'm sure that I don't speak for everyone, but I would tend to avoid third-party service systems, and this would also expose Sniffer to the potential pitfalls of that software.

I thought of that -- but given that the requirement is simple, and the source code for the "business end" of XYNTService is close to what I would write it seems like a logical candidate.

You could provide directions on how to install SRVANY, and then have a script that completes the process once the executables are on the system.  That would be my short-term recommendation.  In the long-term, I would do your own service as opposed to use someone else's container.

Scripts and instructions are subject to interpretation and tend to be troublesome. Those will still exist for those who want to customize their installation and want to know where everything is and how it got there... but for those who don't we'll set up the installer to do things in a "standard / predictable" way-- that should save everybody some time and trouble.

In the long term we will create a number of gadgets that will take care of running SNFServer (or it's core anyway) ... but those are different projects and we want to get V3.0 out there ;-)

One of the big inhibitors right now is the complexity. SNF V3.0 does so much more than V2.x that it is unavoidably more complex. Not everyone who can use V3.0 is ready (or willing) to do the technical bits of the install.

One of the more complicated bits of the installation has been setting up SNFServer to run as a service. Folks seem to have trouble with this part of it even if the rest of the install goes without a hitch. I'm hoping that a simple third party device that's been out there a while and can be integrated with our installer will solve that problem nicely.

I would not recommend distributing XYNTService until you have trialled that for several months with a range of systems.  The work of properly testing this is possibly more work than creating your own service.

I've heard about XYNTService for quite some time and found plenty of positive references to it. I'm hoping to find some references that are closer to home. The only problems In the mean time I'm researching the few problem reports I can find.

BTW: If we were to develop one in-house it would require at least the same level of testing.

All IMO of course.

And well appreciated! :-)

Pete McNeil

Chief Scientist,