From: Message Sniffer Community [mailto:snif...@sortmonster.com] On Behalf
Of Mxuptime.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 11:44 PM
To: Message Sniffer Community
Subject: [sniffer] Re: ClamAID

Hi

Just to add to the following topic. We've been bundling win32 builds of
ClamD together with our product since the beginning and have some experience
working with the win32 versions. These are my observations and thoughts :

1. http://w32.clamav.net/ has not been updated quite awhile and is rather
outdated.

2. There are no official Win32 builds of ClamAV at the moment but from what
I understand/read the next release .95 will have a native official win build

3. There are 3 popular updated win32 builds that include ClamD. One that
runs in Cygwin (http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32) by Brielle Burns and the
other 2 native win32 builds available at http://hideout.ath.cx/clamav and
http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav. If i am not mistaken both of these win32
builds were actually built from http://w32.clamav.net and then updated to
the current versions

The Sosdg build has been extremely solid but sometime back Brielle mentioned
that the project would be discountinued. But Later decided to continue with
the project. The only shortcoming is that if you have other Cygwin
daemon/services running you might have issues if there are different
versions of the cygwin1.dll in use. For what its worth, SmarterMail uses
this build.

Overall, I have not found a lot of difference in both the other 2 native
win32 builds. And they appear to be updated fairly quickly and frequently.
Its fairly straightfoward to have clamD running as services but the ClamD
daemon (in my experience) has known to have crashed once in awhile and as
such you will need to have a watchdog/recovery service monitor the daemon
and restart when necessary.

Cheers
-Matt