Serge wrote:
Hello Pete

We use our own wget batch file, rather long and complicated, do all the following (and more)

uses gzip
only download if the server file is newer
uses lock file
test if lock too old (>60') and eventualy deletes it (in case of a reboot before deleting the lock, for example) retry download if the .gz file is corrupted or if it didnt test good by snf2check
email detailed result

not sure how long it will take us to move to CURL

Our server is in GMT time zone with NO daylight saving

So the issue has to be a bug in sniffer, not, as you say, "a bug in the getRulebase batch file"

Can we expect a quick fix/patch ?
Actually -- the bug is in the way WGet is called in the old getRulebase.cmd script. SNFServer ("sniffer") compares the timestamp of the file reported by the server with the timestamp reported by the local OS. So---

When wget is called the old way it would not retain our server's timestamp and would instead use the local timestamp. As a result, if the local time is not at DST (our server is) then the file on our server would always look newer --or at least for an hour. As a result when SNFServer checks to see if a newer file is available it will find one and trigger the download script again.

The time shifting problem in the previous getRulebase.cmd script has been known for a while but has been benign in most cases.

We moved to CURL because it is simpler (it handles the gzip part internally).

If your script using wget does preserve the servers timestamp for the file then you should have no problem.

We are also putting some measures in place on the delivery server to mitigate the DST issue since most folks will not "get the message" to update their delivery script for some time.

Best,