Hello Frank,
We are using SNMP4J 1.8.1 to query the SNMP agent and observed the following
behavior with different timeouts/retries.

Requesting about 20 OIDs and processing responses asynchronously using simple
implementations of ResponseListener and TreeListener (for WALK) interfaces
appropriately.

These timeouts and retries are being set on the CommunityTarget and snmp
version is set to 1.

Retries      Timeout(ms)      Results
3               500                        100%..got all expected responses.
2               2000                  Lost some..mostly involving WALK.
1               5000                  Lost even more responses, WALK and the
rest.

When observed using Wireshark, no response is being sent by the SNMP agent and
I can see the expected retries and timeouts for the non-responsive OIDs.

More retries with lesser timeout is giving best results. Is this an expected
behavior? Or could it be a network dependent scenario?

Also wondering, what would be the expected behavior if a TimeoutModel is set on
the snmp instance and Timeouts/Retries are set on the Target? Which would be
preferred during the communication?

I appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks,
Varma.