I commented the section in the source code and rebuilt the library.
Now it works perfectly, very impressing performance.

What are your recommendations regarding logging in a production environment?
If I create a log4j.properties file to log INFO messages, will it impact the
overall performance a lot?

Thanks again for the tip,
Matthew