Unless I misunderstand, why don't you just return an object that contains
your strings as member fields? Give it public getters and setters, like a
Java bean, for each string. The XML will have the names in the element tag
for each string. You will need to register a serilaizer/deserializer for the
class in the type mapping registry. But you can use supplied BeanSerializer.

Rick Hansen