> 1) What should my classpath be?

Depends, mine has no changes for SOAP under Tomcat 4.1

> 2) Do I need to modify catalina.bat?

No.

> 3) What jars go in each directory?

Either put the .war in the webaps directory or copy the webapps\soap
direcotry to webapps. You may need to get soap.jar into the classpath. I put
it into soap\web-inf\lib.

> 4) The 3.2.x installation instructions require downloading xerces.jar,
> mail.jar, activation.jar, etc., but Tomcat 4 seems to come
> with all of these
> in the tomcat\common\lib directory. So do we use the ones
> that come with Tomcat or do we still need to download new ones?

Should be ok.

> 5) What is the difference between tomcat\common\lib and
> tomcat\lib? Should both be in the classpath?

Please read the Tomcat docs, there is a good explaination of Tomcat class

Rick Hansen