What is an "adequate" range check if you don't have a meter? For most of my planes I get 100 to 150 ft with my Stylus antenna removed. I get way more with my stock antenna on but retracted. I haven't walked far enough to glitch with my Berg antenna just retracted. Also, if I have my plane on my stand, I get way more range then when it is on the ground. Any advice?

Tom
----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Van Leeuwen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tom Broeski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Molded Supra Antenna Placement - bottom placement

It has merit Tom. Although the epoxy matrix will sorta of insulate, the wire would still have to be (electrically) insulated fromt he CF, one could employ 28awg or smaller solid core motor lead which is used in motor windings (very tough varnish).

The proper way to build it would be to look at return losses with a network analyzer, determining center frequency and bandwidth. This could be modeled (antenna software), but the CF boom would itself have to be modeled first.

If it functioned adequately, then it might be possible to build the unit into every boom during the molding process. However a fair amount of testing would have to confirm that a cross section of OEM RX's would respond adequately to such an antenna.

I have yet to be stymied when inserting the OEM antenna within the confines of carbon booms (including the Pike versions) and not modify it such that it works adequately. Again, this requires sophisticated equipment to actaully measure operating frequency. B/W, and gain.

The biggest problem is that most folks do not have any conception of what the minimum (antenna down) range is viable for their particular radio system. Some folks do have a good understanding of this, but only after taking the time to experiment.

No matter what, although you could develop an integrated base-loaded style antenna, but it would I think be different enough from installation to installation, plus different RX's, plus different wiring configurations (the rest of the control system wiring plays an important role) would make it work for your isntallation but not others.

Booms are usually long enough to allow a full 1/4 wave, this offers the best reciprocity. However there is a possibility that the boom itself may enhance a based-loaded design that could be superior. Modeling (using S/W) would still not be adequate, actual prototypes would confirm or deny performance...

Tom Broeski wrote:

What would be the results if you wrapped copper wire antenna around the base of the boom and ran it out a bit. Would it by like base loading? Would it prevent signal blocking by the boom? Is a slightly wrapped antenna (couple turns down the boom length) better than a straight taped one.

I tried inside the boom, in a tube and just taping the antenna to the boom. Got about 130 ft (Stylus with no antenna) before the picolario stopped announcing on all occasions. I have a couple picolarios and this one never said "attention", so it' probably an older one. Will try another one to test Skip's method.

I will also try a "sticky antenna" from RC Direct and see what it does.

Tom